Removing stubborn animated gif header image

As you may know Blogger blog header image can be uploaded or removed via Header gadget in Page Elements. All good and dandy, until you want to remove or replace the header image -because you can’t. If you use animated gif, and uploaded it using “From your computer” option, you probably won’t be able to remove it. This is maybe because Picasa Web Albums (Blogger image host) doesn’t support animated gif.

How do I remove it then? You remove it by replacing the whole header gadget with a fresh new one. Here’s how:

 

I. Remove the gif header gadget

  1. Login to your Blogger account.
  2. Go to Dashboard > Design > Edit HTML.
  3. Back up your template.
  4. Use the search function (Ctrl+F) to find “Header1“ in your template HTML. What you will find should look something similar like this :
    <b:section class='header' id='header' maxwidgets='1' showaddelement='no'> 
    <b:widget id='Header1' locked='false' title='TitleOfYourBlog(Header)' type='Header'/>
  5. To remove the problematic header, just delete code line 2 (the <b:widget...> line). 
  6. Then in code line 1, change the showaddelement attribute value from  no to yes. Changing this will add an Add A Gadget link in the Page Elements page, enabling you to add a new header later.
  7. Press Save Template button to save the changes.
  8. A warning message will appear, asking if you like to keep the widget on your blog or delete it. Press the Delete Widgets button to confirm the deletion.

 

II. Install new header gadget

  1. To install new header, go to Design > Page Elements and click the Add A Gadget at the header area.
  2. Scroll down the page and choose Page Header.
  3. Configure your new header and click Save.
  4. Finished.
Enjoy!

47 comments to "Removing stubborn animated gif header image"

August 30, 2009 at 9:26 PM    

I face some problems
It is saying that We were unable to save your template
Your template could not be parsed as it is not well-formed. Please make sure all XML elements are closed properly.
XML error message: The element type "b:section" must be terminated by the matching end-tag "".

Greenlava August 31, 2009 at 1:33 AM    

Hi 塔,
Try deleting it one more time. This time leave the Expand Widget Templates check box unticked.

Rosario September 27, 2009 at 2:14 AM    

Very , very useful..it worked!!! thanks so much

Greenlava September 27, 2009 at 10:35 AM    

You're welcome Teacher Rosario.

miow♥ee October 2, 2009 at 4:47 AM    

Thanks a lot. Its really useful =D

Greenlava October 2, 2009 at 11:30 AM    

My pleasure black.cat :)

Shirley October 13, 2009 at 12:39 PM    

Fantastic!! It worked to perfection after some trail and error! Thankx! Eternally grateful!

Greenlava October 13, 2009 at 4:57 PM    

You're welcome Shirley.

Michele Lash, MA October 14, 2009 at 12:27 AM    

This saved me a ton of headaches, thank you!!

Sarah Stewart November 1, 2009 at 6:08 AM    

I added a photo to my header & it doesn't matter what I do (including follow your instructions)...I cannot get rid of the photo...this is driving me mad!!

Greenlava November 1, 2009 at 3:28 PM    

Sarah Stewart,
It would be a lot easier if you provide your blog url. Anyway if the image is still there after even you installed a new header, then it's down to only one possibility -the image was added using CSS (and not uploaded via header gadget).
Here's what you can do:
1. Stop banging your head against the wall :)
2. Go to Layout>Edit HTML and look for #header or .header. You will find something like this:
#header {
width: 972px;
margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
text-align: left;
background: url(http://blablablah) no repeat;
}
3. Delete the background line.
4. Preview, if okay Save.

Sarah Stewart November 2, 2009 at 7:15 AM    

That worked...thanks a lot :)

Anonymous,  November 11, 2009 at 3:04 AM    

Thank you so much!! Finally I found a way to get my header working again.

Greenlava November 12, 2009 at 8:35 AM    

Sarah Stewart, Rachel,
My pleasure.

Anonymous,  November 27, 2009 at 6:13 AM    

Thank you so much! I have been fighting with that for weeks!

Greenlava November 28, 2009 at 2:02 PM    

mommyof4,
You're welcome

"Ibu Aina" December 17, 2009 at 11:24 AM    

thanks Greenlava..you solve my problem :)

Greenlava December 17, 2009 at 5:26 PM    

Sama-sama "atonleethium"

Anonymous,  December 23, 2009 at 4:33 PM    

thanks... it's very useful... thank you very much...

ibuaries January 2, 2010 at 10:10 PM    

thanks very much...very2 helpful. finally!

Julie Groenewald January 8, 2010 at 8:01 PM    

Thank you for this GRRRRRREAT information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you guys rock totally!

Greenlava January 9, 2010 at 1:10 AM    

@Anonymous
@ibuaries
@Jules♥
My pleasure guys...

Tom and Sarah January 17, 2010 at 9:05 AM    

Hello, I am having the same problem. I have an animated image on my blog that I added today, and I cannot delete it or my header, which contains an image. I never had any problems with the header and the image until I uploaded an animated image via an HTML gadget into the header area of my blog.

I have tried deleting everything from the HTML section of my blog which contains the word "Header." I have also tried all of the options recommended by you above in the comments section. Do you have any other ideas of how to help me?

My blog is http://karazenpogoshinjutsu.blogspot.com.

Thanks,
Tom

Greenlava January 17, 2010 at 9:41 AM    

@Tom & Sarah
Do you mean that "We come to you" marquee?
It's not in your header.
To remove it, go to Layout>Page Elements and click the Edit link on the HTML/Javascript box under the header. Then click Remove button. That should do it.

Tom and Sarah January 18, 2010 at 2:29 PM    

Hi again,

Yes, the marquee will not remove and neither will the header with the karate girl. Now, the wierd thing is that I went to my mom's house, made some changes, and the site updated just fine. It reflected all the new changes. But, now I am home again, and the old changes are still on the blog. It must have something to do with my computer. The computer must be stopping me from seeing the updates. I have cleared all my cache and temp files, and I have restarted the system multiple times. But, the old changes are still showing up on my system. Even if I try to remove the header or the HTML/Javascript box under the header, it still won't remove on my computer. But, it will on my parent's computer.

If you go to http://mobilemartialartsoc.blogspot.com, it is the same site as http://karazenpogoshinjutsu.blogspot.com. I have only updated the mobilemartialartsoc.blogspot.com website, not the karazenpogoshinjutsu.blogspot.com website. Check both of them out, and see if they look different. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks again for your help.
Tom

Greenlava January 18, 2010 at 10:24 PM    

@Tom & Sarah
I was going to suggest you to clear the cache, but you did that. Here's what I see:
karazenpogoshinjutsu -I see a header showing phone no. and email address.
mobilemartialartsoc -We Come To You header. Phone no. and email address below header.
No karate girl or marquee on both blogs.
Viewed in Firefox and IE.
Hope you can figure something out from the info.

Tom and Sarah January 19, 2010 at 3:39 AM    

Yeah, that is exactly what I am saying. There must be something that my computer is doing that will not reflect the changes. That is what I need to figure out.

Thanks for your help anyway. :)
Tom

@_@ January 24, 2010 at 8:38 PM    

tnx<3

Sarah January 26, 2010 at 3:20 AM    

Thanks so much!!! It's been driving me nuts but I'm sorted now!!

Nurul Syafiqah February 13, 2010 at 7:42 PM    

OMG!!!! thank u so much!!! :)

Iswari February 15, 2010 at 10:41 AM    

i can't thank you enough. that was a great help. thank you, you saved my blog :)))))

Team PinoyClickers Admin March 12, 2010 at 11:31 AM    

Same problem, help please I can't remove photo from my header! Did your advice for sarah, but in my case there is no background URL from my HTML

Team PinoyClickers Admin March 12, 2010 at 11:35 AM    

Wow thank you so much!!!!! solved my poroblem!

The Weaver's March 13, 2010 at 5:41 AM    

Help me out a lot!! Thanks~

Greenlava March 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM    

@ailes de la liberte
@Sarah
@DOMATITO
@sweetheart
@Team PinoyClickers Admin
@The Weaver's

You're welcome guys. Don't forget to come back :)

Anonymous,  April 20, 2010 at 9:55 PM    

hi..im still having a problem with my header. the add gadget on the header area (page element) is locked. like i can't access the link..no matter how much i try to click it.pls. help..thanks,..
fb

Greenlava April 20, 2010 at 10:35 PM    

@Anonymous
You mean the new Add A Gadget link?

Anonymous,  April 27, 2010 at 2:40 PM    

OMG!!! thank you so much!! what a genius!!

Anonymous,  July 7, 2010 at 9:27 PM    

Hi, thanks for the tips. i managed to put an image to my header finally. however, the image is not centered. what should i do?

ibnmurad.blogspot.com

thanks

Greenlava July 8, 2010 at 2:34 AM    

@Nikkiz Inzpired Creationz
You're welcome. Do come back :)

@Putera Bongsu
To center the header image, refer to Aligning header image and texts

[♥]Breezy[♥] December 19, 2010 at 3:23 AM    

I can't find the 'showaddelements = 'no'
:(
I've been searching for a really long time...

[♥]Breezy[♥] December 19, 2010 at 4:20 AM    

I found it and changed the 'no' to a 'yes'...
but it still doesn't work. ._.

Greenlava December 19, 2010 at 9:47 AM    

@[♥]Breezy[♥]
You have to add a new header after that (Design > Page Elements > Add A Gadget > Page Header).

[♥]Breezy[♥] December 20, 2010 at 12:10 AM    

Yes, I tried to do that, but it said I already had it and wouldn't let me add another.

Greenlava December 20, 2010 at 2:52 PM    

@[♥]Breezy[♥]
How about step I.5, have to done that?

gemsbyconny February 6, 2011 at 2:53 AM    

It did not work! it says diff in mine. the 2 <b gadget ... it says locked= 'true' (not false) When I deleted it, it would not save it because some ending wasn't right.

Greenlava February 7, 2011 at 3:46 PM    

@gemsbyconny
Make sure you DO NOT tick the Expand Widget Templates checkbox.

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Leave us a comment.

To ensure proper display, HTML/XML/Javascript need to be escaped first using this escape tool.