Creating Top Commentators widget for Blogger

Update 24 Dec 2009: I’ve just realized that the Blogger emits the maximum of only 200 comments per feed, even when I specified 1000 comments (using max-results=1000 query parameter). It wasn’t so when I wrote this tutorial back in June.

Anyway I’ve got the pipe fixed.

For readers who cloned my pipe, please re-clone. And for those who use my pipe as it is, you don’t have to do anything. The updated pipe will truly reflect your blog’s latest 1000 comments.

blogger top comentator widget Improve traffic to your site by encouraging readers to leave comments on your blog. And what better way to motivate them to comment than to have their names displayed on your blog. Top Commentators widget will display the list of people who commented the most. Each name is linked to the commentator’s Blogger profile or web site.

See a live example here in my widget showcase blog.

If normal list like that doesn’t whet your appetite, try a cloud version, with Top commentators Cloud.

 

I. Installing Top Commentators widget:

  1. Login to your Blogger account.
  2. Go to Design > Page Elements.
  3. Click Add A Gadget.
  4. In Add A Gadget window, select HTML/Javascript .
  5. Copy the code below and paste it inside the window.
  6. Enter the title of your widget e.g. Top Commentators.
  7. Click Save.
<!-- Top commentators widget v1 Start -->
<script type="text/javascript">
function getYpipe(feed) {
 document.write('<ol>');
 var i;
 for (i = 0; i < feed.count ; i++)
 {
 var href = "'" + feed.value.items[i].link + "'";
 if(feed.value.items[i].link == "")
var item ="<li>" + feed.value.items[i].title + "</li>";
else
var item = "<li>" + "<a href="+ href + '" target="_blank">' + feed.value.items[i].title + "</a> </li>";
 document.write(item);
 }
 document.write('</ol>');
 }
 </script>
 <script src="http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.run?
 YourBlogUrl=http://www.bloggersentral.com
 &ExcludedNick1=Greenlava
 &ExcludedNick2=
 &ShowHowMany=10
 &_callback=getYpipe
 &_id=23022d7836bf2dd3c10a329feb9be26a
 &_render=json"
type="text/javascript"></script>
<span style="font-size: 80%; float:right;">Get this <a href="http://www.bloggersentral.com/2009/06/creating-top-commentator-widget-in.html">widget</a></span>
<!-- Top commentators widget End -->

 

II. Customizing Top Commentators widget

Notice the highlighted items in the code? That’s where you need to enter your own input:

  1. YourBlogUrl –this is your blog URL, replace http://www.bloggersentral.com with yours. Remember: Do not include the trailing slash (i.e. .com/). This widget works for both blogspot and custom domain.
  2. ExcludedNick1 and ExcludedNick2 –add up to two commentator nicknames that you want to exclude from the top ten list. You may want to put your nickname in here. The nickname Anonymous is already included in exclusion list, so you don’t need to add it here.
  3. ShowHowMany –specify how many people on the list, the default is 10.

This widget utilizes Yahoo! Pipes to extract and process the data from your blog’s latest 1000 comments, via comments feed .

 

III. Customizing the pipe (optional)

If you want further customize the widget output, you need to edit the (Yahoo) pipe itself. Follow the steps below:

  1. Go to my Yahoo! pipe here.
  2. Log in to your Yahoo! account.
  3. Create a clone by clicking the Clone button.
  4. Click edit source to edit it in anyway you like.
  5. When you’re done editing and saving, test run it by clicking Run Pipe button to confirm the output of the pipe.
  6. To use the pipe in the Top Commentator widget, you need to copy the id and paste it to replace the existing id in line 24. (To get the id, look in your browser’s address bar. The id is the end part the URL when you are viewing or editing the pipe.)

Credits to googlesystem, for providing the base for the pipe and to Hunlock.com, in helping me understand the process of importing and displaying Yahoo pipes in a web page.

Enjoy!

116 comments to "Creating Top Commentators widget for Blogger"

Rebecca October 21, 2009 at 11:59 AM    

Hahaha! I'm a top commentator! Thanks this worked like a charm for me.

oes tsetnoc November 23, 2009 at 1:01 AM    

hmmm easy to install.

joey perez November 26, 2009 at 2:07 AM    

I followed the instructions and I changed the URL name on line 19 to my URL yet I do see the gadget on my Blog but no names under it although I have some comments.

Greenlava November 26, 2009 at 11:45 PM    

joey perez,
Please read the proper way of copying the code in FAQs.

joey perez November 30, 2009 at 8:00 AM    

Thank you I got it to work...

UK Promotional Items December 15, 2009 at 5:26 PM    

Thanks for the useful information. Actually i also have a personal blog and i also need to install Top Commentators plugin in it.
Thanks

dBOS-fm December 17, 2009 at 11:22 PM    

Thank you so much for this widget!

Greenlava December 18, 2009 at 12:47 AM    

joey perez, UK Promotional Items, dBOS-fm,
You're welcome guys.

enzyme supplements January 22, 2010 at 1:50 AM    

I'm good to go. I am completely blown away. I am quite impressed with your level of customer service.

Random WAHM Thoughts January 25, 2010 at 9:36 AM    

hey! thank you so much for this! worked perfectly when I copied your code but when I tried to clone your pipe (wanted to add one more name to exclude), the list of top commentators doesn't produce accurate results. what am i doing wrong? :((

Greenlava January 25, 2010 at 4:30 PM    

@K
What's your pipe url? Maybe I can have a look a it.

Random WAHM Thoughts January 25, 2010 at 5:06 PM    

oh my gosh thanks for the quick response!

anyway, the clone's here:

http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.info?_id=73f917316c715ee26eb4329122fb89c2

i just added one more nickname, and it didn't work as it should. the top commenter should have 86 something points :(

thanks for trying to help! i appreciate it soooo much!!!! *hugs*

Greenlava January 25, 2010 at 10:05 PM    

@K
I think I've found what the problem is.
You cloned my original pipe, not the updated one. It's not your fault though. Hmm strange, but anyway I think I've fixed that. Here's what to do:
1. Re-clone my pipe. You should see 5 URL builder modules in it, not one.
2. Add in the 3rd nickname. Do as you did before, it will work fine.
3. Tell me if it works

Random WAHM Thoughts January 27, 2010 at 6:01 PM    

hey it does work! yay! thank you sooo much! i want to paste the link to the new clone but your comment box doesn't let me :(

anyways, i have added one extra nickname and plan to add up to 3K comments (for an ongoing blog contest).

a BIIIIGG thanks to you again! this is the only accurate pipe i have come across (and i have been looking for a long time now) ;)

kudos!

Hajib February 7, 2010 at 10:32 PM    

thank you.. its works! i like!!!

▲ FARRAH ▲ February 12, 2010 at 3:25 PM    

Hi Greenlava,

How do I remove the number of comments left by each of the top commentors, as I only want their names to appear? I took a look at the Yahoo pipe, but don't even know where to start! lol.

Thanks!
Farrah

Greenlava February 12, 2010 at 8:49 PM    

@K
@Hajib
My pleasure guys...

@DISTRIKMODE
You need to clone and edit the pipe.
In the second to last module (Regex module), remove "item.title" rule by clicking the (-) sign. Then click Save in top right corner.
Don't forget to use the new pipe id number in your Top Commentator widget code.

Anup @ Hack Tutors February 20, 2010 at 1:12 PM    

Really nice with CSS ;) Thanks for the code.

▲ FARRAH ▲ February 22, 2010 at 3:12 PM    

IT WORKED!! THANK YOU SO MUCH GREENLAVA! :)

Axes DesigNs February 23, 2010 at 1:08 AM    

Thanks for sharring.. now I have the top commentors window in my blog!!! I love it!

Greenlava February 23, 2010 at 2:06 PM    

@Anup @ Hack Tutors
@DISTRIKMODE
My pleasure

@Axes DesigNs
You're welcome, come back anytime...

Anup@ Hack Tutors February 28, 2010 at 10:18 PM    

I want this widget which exclude previous comments. Is it possible??

Greenlava March 1, 2010 at 4:22 PM    

@Anup@ Hack Tutors
Take a look at this pipe.
http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.info?_id=6758a8ca9f56fc4ee15153f40f34e70e

a March 3, 2010 at 12:10 AM    

I want to totally rest my top commentator widget in blogger. But it doesn't I have try to customize URL which you have given. It excludes but, it again include previous comments when they again comment on my blog...No solution of it? Can you give me full tutorial for it?

I am trying to do so I am organizing the top commentator contest on my blog. So, that's why I want to rest this widget...

Regards,
Anup kayastha

Greenlava March 3, 2010 at 1:58 AM    

@Anup
I've revised the pipe. It should work fine now.

MMA pound for pound March 11, 2010 at 12:07 PM    

That's nice to read you blog as you continually provide great contents not seen on other site. Keep it up your site visitors will love your site a lot.

Harvey44 May 12, 2010 at 5:00 AM    

Very cool widget. I would like to exclude more than two commentors. We have five authors, plus some people who comment in multiple ways ... jason and Jason! It's the same person.

Anyway to exclude more than 2?

Greenlava May 12, 2010 at 10:41 AM    

@Harvey44
You have to clone the pipe and add in Text Input modules. One module per person.
In Yahoo pipe editing screen, on the left, click "User inputs", then click the plus sign on "Text input" button to add the module. Fill in the blanks, drag to position and connect.

Northern Girl Stamper May 12, 2010 at 10:24 PM    

I would like to add links at the top of my blog using images I have created to match my blog how do I do that.

Greenlava May 13, 2010 at 12:52 AM    

@Shannon
You might want to read Creating navigation or menu tabs in Blogger

Harvey44 May 20, 2010 at 3:01 AM    

Greenlava - at totally bizarre thing! I used the widget and modified it to eliminate Anonymous plus 5 other names. We have 5 authors. Also showing top 20 commentators.

Works great EXCEPT on my smart phone (Blackberry Storm 2) it shows the top 20 COMMENTORS from YOUR BLOG!

On a regular computer it shows the commentors from my blog. On my phone you are the top commentor with 361 comments!

WHAT???

Greenlava May 20, 2010 at 10:02 PM    

@Harvey44
Now that's spooky :)
Frankly I don't the reason behind it. But you might want to try this:
Right now the YourBlogUrl text input module inside your pipe contains my blog url. Try replacing the urls (Default and Debug) with yours. That might do the trick.

Harvey44 May 20, 2010 at 10:29 PM    

That worked! (Thanks).

I admit I am clueless about pipes. I've ended up with 5 in there and want to delete all the false attempts. How can I figure out which ones to delete so I leave the right one?

Harvey44 May 20, 2010 at 10:42 PM    

Ignore my previous comment. I figured it out. Very Cool.

Is there any reason to put something in the spots above the Default and Debug where it says Name and URL?

Greenlava May 21, 2010 at 11:18 AM    

@Harvey44
You mean Name and Prompt, inside the pipe editor?
Name for name of your variable (e.g YourBlogUrl). That same name must be used when you assign a value to the variable inside a script (as in line 19). If you don't define it, it will use whatever inside Default.
Prompt is your prompt text ("Your blog url"), only used in here

Gagan July 4, 2010 at 10:38 PM    

wonderful setup of your blog , i like it...

Endy Daniel August 31, 2010 at 1:25 PM    

thx alot for sharing!

Greenlava August 31, 2010 at 3:42 PM    

@Gagan
Welcome to Blogger Sentral...and thank you

@Endy Daniel
My pleasure, do come back :)

w0rkingAth0mE September 4, 2010 at 4:59 PM    

thanks for sharing its really helpful ... I used it =)

Greenlava September 4, 2010 at 5:09 PM    

@w0rkingAth0mE
My pleasure...

wheelchair accessible cars hire September 24, 2010 at 3:04 PM    

Thanks for the tut on yahoo pipes. easily to follow.

vvb32 reads September 30, 2010 at 6:01 AM    

thanks so much. i tried 3 other scripts and yours worked for me ;-D

Greenlava September 30, 2010 at 12:38 PM    

@vvb32 reads
I'm glad. Thanks for commenting.

Mel_Cole October 4, 2010 at 5:00 PM    

Hi, I wish to sort my Top commenters every month. How can I change the Date in your code?

Greenlava October 4, 2010 at 6:38 PM    

@Mel Cole
You can get this widget with date limit feature added at Wahmaholic.com.

Ataner October 23, 2010 at 10:07 AM    

It works. Amazing.

Anonymous,  December 8, 2010 at 7:49 PM    

tq :)

Maestro December 31, 2010 at 10:08 AM    

hello very nice widget man. I am using it on my blog at the moment. Have modified it jus a bit and thats jsu to show the word comments alongside the numbers. Is there a way i can add thumbnail or gravatar if u wanna call it that. For instance if the commentator has a blogger or openid etc profile then their pic would show. If not then a default pic would show instd. Thanx and looking forward to hearing back from you.

Greenlava January 1, 2011 at 12:53 AM    

@Maestro
Sorry but I'm unable to offer you any help (due to my limited knowledge).
Being able to add a gravatar would be nice though.
Hmm....maybe I'll add it to my 2011's to do list.

Roulette Online January 7, 2011 at 6:31 PM    

Is there any reason to put something in the spots above the Default and Debug where it says Name and URL

Greenlava January 7, 2011 at 9:36 PM    

@Roulette Online
You are referring to the pipe right?
Default is the default URL for the pipe. If you don't specify YourBlogUrl in code line 19, this URL will be used.
Debug URL is used when debugging the pipe. (There is a debugger at the bottom of the editor)

Greenlava January 7, 2011 at 9:43 PM    

@Roulette Online
The pipe should work even if you don't put anything in the them.

Promotional Merchandise January 10, 2011 at 3:07 PM    

I am using it on my blog at the moment. Have modified it jus a bit and thats jsu to show the word comments alongside the numbers.

Greenlava January 10, 2011 at 3:37 PM    

@Promotional Merchandise
You need to clone and edit the pipe.
Then go to the last module (Regex), and replace (${y:repeatcount} comments) with (${y:repeatcount} comments) in the item.title rule.

valentine gift 2011 January 13, 2011 at 7:33 PM    

very nice widget man. I am using it on my blog at the moment. Have modified it jus a bit and thats jsu to show the word comments alongside the numbers. Is there a way i can add thumbnail or gravatar...Thanks

Greenlava January 14, 2011 at 4:20 PM    

@valentine gift 2011
I'm afraid that is not possible at this moment.

Iconoclaste January 16, 2011 at 9:52 AM    

Thank you SO MUCH !!! I've spent HOURS tryin' every single widget like this one on every possible page and it wasn't working at all !! It was always showing a wrong comments number, but yours works !!!
I am SO happy :))))))))))))) !!!!
You can see it here http://www.l-iconoclaste.net/

India Tour Operators February 5, 2011 at 1:10 AM    

wow…. very very very happy to see these extensions. i just wowed….wonderful to know . thank you so much....

Waterproof iPod February 26, 2011 at 2:02 AM    

Thanks for the useful information. Actually i also have a personal blog and I am always looking to get new quality plugins that can improve the blog's performance.
Thanks

SeoDelo March 4, 2011 at 5:07 PM    

Thank you for your instructions! And there are similar plugins for Wordpress blog?

Expat and the City March 5, 2011 at 3:54 PM    

Hello, I followed your instructions and it doesn't work for me. Only the title shows up with a few numbers. I'm sure it's something I am doing wrong and I admit I'm not good at this kind of stuff. Could you please help? Thank you.

http://expatandthecity.blogspot.com/

Greenlava March 5, 2011 at 9:42 PM    

@Expat and the City
Those numbers are code line numbers. They appear if you copy the code direct off this page.
To copy correctly (without line numbers), you want to click the <> icon on top right corner and copy the code from the pop up.

redzuan ridz March 22, 2011 at 11:48 PM    

for long time i'm looking for this widget. thanx dude. before this i'm already using this widget's script from another website but not working properly. name list of commentators dissapear only the counter have been show.

Greenlava March 23, 2011 at 8:27 PM    

@redzuan
I'm glad this widget have solved your problem.
There are lots more widget tutorials in the archive. Do use the search box to find what you need.

Carole in The Faith Lounge March 25, 2011 at 11:37 AM    

Thank you again for excellent and clear instructions.

It worked for me.

PO Box April 3, 2011 at 2:27 AM    

the discussion here came to good result with a well and clear instruction... thanks for the author...

First Choice Migration April 16, 2011 at 2:12 AM    

It WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks you so much!@!@!@!

Nil jhonson April 30, 2011 at 12:53 AM    

Thank you for your instructions! And there are similar plugins for Wordpress blog?

Greenlava April 30, 2011 at 3:22 PM    

@Nil jhonson
How about this one here from WordPress Plugin Directory.

Unknown May 2, 2011 at 12:56 AM    

It worked immediately and it was very easy to put in. THANK YOU! :D Everywhere I looked, all I could find were widgets for Wordpress.

Munna June 21, 2011 at 6:12 PM    

hi BS...just wanna ask,did it works to intense debate comments plugin? tq

Greenlava June 22, 2011 at 12:24 PM    

@Munna
This comment numbering hack will only work with default Blogger comments.

Lulu Caldina June 29, 2011 at 8:22 AM    

Thanks :)

aku seorang blogger June 29, 2011 at 8:26 PM    

i love your widget very much~ tq

Carole in the UK July 15, 2011 at 7:34 AM    

I have been using this widget for over a year now and suddenly out of the blue it has started to include my comments!

I have not changed anything in the code since initially implementing it. I have removed the widget completely from my blog and then added it again, but still the same problem.

Please help!!

Greenlava July 16, 2011 at 1:26 AM    

@Carole in the Faith Lounge
This widget is case sensitive. Make sure your ExcludedNicks match exactly with the names you want to exclude.

Carole in the UK July 17, 2011 at 10:38 AM    

Thank you, double checked and is now working.

Amanda September 1, 2011 at 2:04 AM    

This is awesome! Thank you!

Unknown September 10, 2011 at 2:26 PM    

cool widget ! TQ

raam September 24, 2011 at 5:17 PM    

How to add this kind of widget in wordpress based blog. Please answer my question... please

Greenlava September 26, 2011 at 6:51 AM    

@raam
Wordpress has a plugin for this. Just Google "wordpress top commentators".

smp 3 lembang September 30, 2011 at 6:19 AM    

thanks I am using my blog now

M.Pinto @ ProHacker October 8, 2011 at 1:14 AM    

Thanks brotha.. :)
Working great!!

Unknown October 29, 2011 at 2:43 PM    

cool widget! thanks...

Černá Moora December 5, 2011 at 7:28 AM    

works great! thanks!

Ileana Recommends December 20, 2011 at 8:27 PM    

You are awesome! I browsed to find a good js for this widget and your is the bomb! So clear steps, you are awesome! thnx!

Bang Iwan January 7, 2012 at 4:52 PM    

Thanks....

y8 February 15, 2012 at 5:59 PM    

I am glad to see that people are actually writing about this issue in such a smart way, showing us all different sides to it. You are a great blogger. Please keep it up. I cant wait to read whats next

Gracie March 20, 2012 at 3:36 AM    

It works for me, thanks a lot!

MałyJeż May 9, 2012 at 3:53 AM    

I dont know why, but it doesnt work :|

MałyJeż May 9, 2012 at 3:54 AM    

Ok, now works, haha, at last!!

Computer& Laptop May 22, 2012 at 3:00 PM    

I tried to install the widget. Thera are no problems with the instalation but in my site I can see only "Modifymyblogs" and nothing else.Thanks for sharing the information.

banking term May 22, 2012 at 4:08 PM    

Awesome to be viewing your site again, it has been several weeks for me. Well this content that i’ve been patiently waited for such a lengthy time. I need this content to finish my task in the higher education, and it has same subject with your content. Thanks, excellent discuss.

she.is.the.one May 27, 2012 at 7:23 PM    

please anybody. help. it doasnt work to me.
http://she-is-the-1.blogspot.com
i will very appreciate it if anbody can put this code together for me... :)

Rahmat Sudirja May 28, 2012 at 3:11 AM    

terima kasih buat artikelnya, inilah yang dari tadi saya cari

Ayodhya Prasad June 30, 2012 at 1:48 PM    

i want to make my blogs comments box , like yours...please tell me how i do it..i like yours comments...with numbers...thanks

onlajer July 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM    

Thanks....

TambelanBlog July 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM    

Thanks useful widget. I had use it just second, and credit your link blog on my widget site.

Great thanks
TambelanBlog

Greenlava July 13, 2012 at 12:37 AM    

@Ayodhya Prasad
Read this: How to number comments in Blogger

Microwave Oven Repair October 1, 2012 at 2:27 PM    

This is great post view to top commentator, top commentator is very important task of an offpage optimization.Thanks for sharing the useful information.

mathewreegan October 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM    

very interesting widget.

♛ ప్రిన్స్ ♛ December 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM    

i want evry blog coments updates in my blog how to do???

Greenlava December 4, 2012 at 1:50 PM    

@♛ ప్రిన్స్ ♛
You can use the Feed gadget to display 5 of your blog's latest comments, by using this URL as the feed URL:
http://YOURBLOGNAME.blogspot.com/feeds/comments/default

Ary_Putra December 9, 2012 at 4:11 AM    

info is interesting for all of us bloggers especially beginners like me. thanks for the info tutorian a friend in the present. I got knowledge from here bari tricks about how to make the widget commentator on the blog.

Unknown January 22, 2013 at 5:22 PM    

Thank you so much! How to exclude third nickname? I have three nick ...

Greenlava January 23, 2013 at 1:52 PM    

@Гала Германовна
You have to edit the pipe:
1. Clone the pipe.
2. Add an item (similar to the existing items) in the Filter module.
3. Add a text input module for inputting the nickname.

Unknown January 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM    

I did everything as you wrote, but the third nickname for exclude widget does not accept!
Auuuu & help me, please O-)

Greenlava January 27, 2013 at 3:33 AM    

@Гала Германовна
Could you give me the ID of your cloned pipe?

Marisol February 25, 2013 at 11:02 PM    

Is it possible to change it the following way: I only want to see the top commentators of the last 30 days!
Many thanks!

Greenlava February 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM    

@Marisol
Try the link provided in reply #45.

berkas askep March 18, 2013 at 3:34 AM    

nice tips

Arham Sukardi May 7, 2013 at 5:11 PM    

Cool tips for making top commentator widget, thanks

Adriannasyaz June 28, 2013 at 1:09 PM    

It works...n easy..thank you so much...:D

Unknown August 27, 2013 at 4:22 AM    

Thank you so much! Works perfect!!!!!!! You are awesome :)

Unknown August 28, 2013 at 10:22 PM    

thanks... :)

Maharaja Lawak December 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM    

Great widget. This widget let me identify top commentators and reward them.

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Leave us a comment.

To ensure proper display, HTML/XML/Javascript need to be escaped first using this escape tool.